I love cooking. But sometimes the hassle of picking out the needed ingredients at the store, measuring the right amounts, and cleaning up the mess afterwards makes me want to run to the nearest restaurant. Okay, maybe I don’t love cooking. But I like it. On the weekends.
During the week I drive about 100 miles a day and the last thing I want to do is come home and cook. I’d rather just take a steamy shower and put on my pajamas and watch Netflix. Who doesn’t?
It just so happens that on one of those commuter days I was listening to my satellite radio when an ad came on for Blue Apron. Have you heard of it? They promised a solution for gals like me with little time (and desire) to cook (at least during the week). From their site: Fresh ingredients, great recipes delivered weekly to your home.
That sounded fantastic and a little too good to be true. But they were offering a deal – Try us and we will give you two meals free! How could I not?
Well, when I opened up my box today it felt like Christmas. Christmas to a cook! Perfectly portioned items, all individually wrapped and labeled for each meal. How amazing!
And after I cooked my first meal: Cornmeal-crusted Catfish with Tomato-Cucumber Salad and Creamy Potatoes, I was convinced that this purchase was the smartest one I’ve ever made.
Let me break it down:
- Sign up for a 2 or 4 person meal plan and get 3 meals (per person) per week.
- Choose your delivery date (Wednesday – Saturday) and the package comes right to your door (apartment or not). The best part is that if you won’t be home for a few hours, it’s okay – everything is packaged with two huge icepacks!
- Choose the meal plan you want. Vegetarian? Don’t eat fish? No problem! And all are healthy and made with fresh ingredients.
- Every ingredient is measured and portioned for you – all you do is cook and eat!
- Each meal comes with a large recipe card displaying the ingredients and no-fail, step-by-step directions for a dinner that can be completed in around 30 minutes.
It really is that simple. The directions were super easy, the food was delicious, and cleanup was a breeze.
So far I see no cons, except for (maybe) the price, but even that can be justified. At around $60 per week for the 2 person plan, you are still (1) saving more than you would eating out, (2) using up all of the ingredients without waste, and (3) buying fewer groceries overall. Plus, if you live alone, you have meals for SIX out of seven days OR lunch for the next day. Seems like a win all around.
Do yourself a favor and TRY THIS OUT!